Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Although the application forms and final documents are the same everywhere, our embassies and consulates have different procedures to get them. If you haven’t done so already, check your local post website to learn the local rules. Our Embassies and Consulates will need you to make an appointment for this service. For more information, please visit the Department of State Travel site.

Birth of U.S. Citizen in Kenya

Information on acquisition of U.S. citizenship by a child born abroad

The American Citizen Services section in Nairobi, Kenya accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad by appointment only.

General Information

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) documents the birth of a United States citizen in a foreign country. It is accepted by all U.S. Government agencies as proof of a child's U.S. citizenship. Although not technically a birth certificate (which can only be issued by the local jurisdiction), the CRBA can be used in the U.S. in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar's office. You may apply for a child's U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA. It cannot be prepared if the child is 18 years of age or older at the time the application is made.

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport. 

Please note that we can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.


To improve our service to you, we are changing the way we now accept CRBA applications.   We ask that you complete all the forms below, attach the supporting documents and present the documents on the appointment day.  

To schedule an appointment visit the Department of State Travel Appointment site



The notarized documents must be sent to the parent who will be making the application on the appointment day.  No scanned or faxed documents will be accepted.


  • The child’s birth certificate - Hospital Birth notifications are not acceptable.    
  • Original marriage certificate for parents, if married
  • Original divorce certificate or death certificate, if either parent was previously married.   
  • One 2” x 2” photographs, that meet the requirements listed on the back of the application. 
  •  Parent’s original U.S. passports and notarized Naturalization Certificates (if applicable)
  • Evidence of physical presence in the U.S. – In many cases, the parent transmitting his or her U.S. citizenship to the child is required to demonstrate that they resided in the U.S. for five (5) years before the birth of the child. There are exceptions. For more information about the physical presence requirement, click here. Evidence that may be presented includes, but is not limited to, school transcripts, pay stubs, employment records and rental or lease agreements.  Please note we do not accept income tax returns exclusively. 

Parents must sign the child’s PASSPORT APPLICATION form in the presence of a Consular Officer –DO NOT SIGN BEFOREHAND

 Please also note the following:

  • Please include the passports for both parents and any other identifying documents for the non-American parent (if applicable)
  • Please do not leave your passports with our office
  • All notarized and certified copies must be presented.  We do not accept scanned or faxed copies.    

On the appointment day, you will need to bring:

  • The child
  • Both parents (if in Kenya)
  • All original completed forms and supporting documents
  • The fee for the CRBA ($100) and child’s passport ($105) — this totals $205. The fee is payable in dollars or the equivalent in Kenyan Shillings, USD or international credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Dinners, American Express, and Discover).

We need your help in ensuring quality customer service for all applicants.  This new procedure is designed to ensure that each customer is fully prepared for their CRBA appointment.

Please use this document checklist to help you prepare. 

If you have any questions about this new procedure or the documents required, please send an E-mail to  

Note: Documents in a language other than English must be translated to English.  Bring both the original translation with you to your appointment.

DNA Examinations

In some instances it is not possible to conclusively determine the U.S. citizenship of a child at birth. In these cases, the Consular Officer may request a DNA exam to establish parentage. This will involve the supervised taking of saliva samples from the child and the father and/or mother. Please do not conduct independent DNA exams, as only results from Embassy ordered tests can be used to determine a genetic relationship for citizenship purposes.

DNA questions:

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.