Student Visas (F1)
Students/Exchange Program Visa Applicants
In addition to the general application requirements, if you wish to study in the U.S. you must present the following additional documentation:
First-time Students (Applies to Exchange Visitor Program Visa applicants as well)
- Original SEVIS compliant I-20 or DS-2019 (all pages) issued by the school or program sponsor.
- Unless otherwise exempt, participants whose SEVIS I-20 was issued on or after September 1, 2004 must pay a SEVIS I-901 Fee to the Department of Homeland Security for each individual program. The fee may be paid either through a special website via western union, or by mail on form I-901
- Original evidence of academic preparation, such as Kenya National Examination Council certificate, TOEFL, and SAT score reports, school transcripts, school leaving certificates, etc.
- Financial documents from you or your sponsor, showing your ability to cover the cost of your education in the United States.
Please present your sponsor’s original bank statement from a commercial bank recognized by the Central Bank of Kenya. Please note: SACCO’s do not meet this requirement. Mini-statements and certified photocopies will not be accepted. The bank statement must be from an individual’s account. Business bank statements will not be accepted even if the sponsor is the sole proprietor. In addition you need to present the following accompanying documents:
- Proof of the sponsor’s income and investments.
- Original bank statements for the past TWELVE months from the sponsor.
- Form I-20/DS-2019 that has been endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months.
- A certified copy of your grades from the school in which you are enrolled or previous school (student)
- Financial documents from you or your sponsor, showing your ability to cover the cost of your school.
For more information about studying in the United States visit the Department of State Travel site.